January 27, 2010

Downtown freerange chicken

I would like to introduce you to two of my feathered friends: Ladies Freeranges. My chicks are a small type of chicken and they are awfully good in being cute and curious.






Now, if you see the one, you are pretty sure you'll see the other as well. They are best friends and follow each other every where. Except when one of  them is laying an egg. But because it is winter and very very very cold this year, we are now not into the egg laying business. And that is fine with me.

Because I really have to say, that ever since I have these cuties, eating eggs hasn't been the same for me. In summer, they might lay on egg every day. OMG!!! Have you seen the size of these eggs?? Okay, my chickens are small and so are their eggs compared to the eggs you'd buy in the shop. But you try to lay one yourself. I think you'd squeek different! And it takes them about 30 minutes to squeeze out an egg. Now I gave birth about 2 years ago and I can honestly tell you it wasn't a relaxing experience for me. (an even more honest confession: After birth I seriously came to doubt the whole production process of God. And what I now know for sure is that God has to be a guy. Dude! God Dude, with all due respect, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???!!! How can we (women!) possibly squeeze out a kid a hundred time the size of the birth canal??? Really, what were you thinking?)

So, let's just say I respect chickens big time. And I am very thankful as well. It actually took me quite some time before I could even eat their eggs. I would daily check for fresh eggs and most of the time the eggs were still warm. Very cute! And after all that work the chicken had put in to laying that egg, I just couldn't bare to whack it in a pan to either fry or boil it. I gave away many an egg to the neighbours...

This also to compromise the fact that my chickens are somewhat a bit roosterers. Say what?? I hear you think. Roosterlike. I have 2 chicken, but no rooster (want to know why? Ask me and I will explain, or write another blog about it). So my cute little chickies sometime feel like to have to act like a rooster.

So when do they do this?
1. typically natural behaviour: When danger is around the corner! They will make so much noise that all the chickens in the state will know there might be a possible danger. Wise girls, my chickens.
2. less typically natural behaviour: When they want food. FOOD FOOD FOOD. WOMAN WE WANT FOOD!!! GET OUT AND GIVE US FOOD!!! FOOOOOOOOD FOOOOOOOOD FOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Now in winter time, point 2 isn't much of problem because my girls are luxury chickens and won't come out of their night shed before 10.30! I'm telling you, honest to God.

But in summer time it is a different tale. They will scream and shout as if you are being tortured and burned alive around 7 ish. Great...


But I really love having my chickies around. It really is so much fun. And because of my chickens, our garden has become the local hang our for all kinds of birds. All the birds will be sitting around and waiting for me to put out some food and beverages. It's a true fiesta in my garden. If it was up to the birds they would ask for a menu and order food and drinks. Take out even. I mean, we are in a city, so even the birds will adapt.

Chickens go well with my dogs and all of the local cats as well. Some cats just hang out in our garden too, pretty close to the chickens and just staring at them. No attempts to kill thank God, all though this was different when I just had my chicks. But you'll see the cat sit and stare and think: these are odd looking cats, I'm telling you.

So, this is the story about my two downtown freerange chicken.

If you would like to know more about my or other chicken, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment